Monday, September 26, 2016

P-Day #8 - Life Is About The Choices You Make....Poutine....And Buying a Heavy Coat!

Hey Mom and Dad,

You are probably still sleeping but I am awake.
Elder Perry On Top of the World in the Canada Toronto Mission in Quebec, Canada

This week has been good, we still don't know where I am going, the word is just stand by and wait for the Val-d’Or apartment thing to sort itself out. I want to know because I want to get a rhythm down and not wonder where I will be for the next year. The French Elders don't get transferred very often because there are so few. We are getting a new French Elder this week and we have all been wondering how the companionship's are going to be sorted out.

Elder Carman (Left) and Elder Feth (Right) Enjoying some Poutine for a Lunch Break.
They are my companions, They ROCK!


The Elders here are treating me good. We laugh and joke around with each other and we do the work. They say when you are up north too long you become weird and not the average missionary. This is proving to be true but I really wouldn't want average because then life would just be boring. We met a man who said his name was Bruce Lee. (he was definitely not). He also told us that he needed to go and fly away. I guess he was going to meet with Superman. He was a little high on something but it gave us a good laugh. We went back later when we thought he would be off the high but he opened the door and the smell of pot filled the hallway. He is probably not going to be taught right now.

I did buy a heavy coat and it’s a nice Colombia and well made. We looked around for good deals but they didn't have anything in my size that was on sale. The Elders helped me look and I tried to communicate the best I could with the lady who was helping with the coat. She said it could handle -40 easy so I said “OK”.

We helped a lady move some furniture in her basement this week. Her basement was really dusty and cat hair was all over everything. Even with my allergy meds, I still had an allergy flare up. We got home after and I got in the shower and recovered for the rest of the night.

Elder Perry at the Largest Gold Mine in Canada

We went to the largest mine in Canada. It's just outside of Val-d'Or. It produces about 140,000 ounces of gold every quarter. Now, that's a "Gold Rush"!

Poutine is Fries covered with Brown Gravy and some Cheese Curds

I got to try talking to people by myself and I think that it went well, all things considered. I had the famed poutine and it was ok. I think it would have been better with country style gravy but it was lunch that day so, it was awesome. We taught the lady who owns the restaurant and she gave it to us for free. She was so nice.

I got to use the self-checkout at Walmart in French and I thought it was the coolest thing. Things up here are all French and it is full immersion. I like it because I am getting better at responding to questions and understanding what people are saying.

I helped mow a lady’s lawn today. Thousands of miles away and I am still mowing lawns like at home. She had a John Deere mower like our neighbor Linn Buckner’s at home in Vernonia, which was nice. I met a guy who reminded me of Linn. He lived by himself with his dog and wore jeans and an old hickory shirt. Every time we go over to those two people it is like I am walking next door and saying hi to our neighbor and asking how he is doing. It feels like home and I love it. Tell Linn “Hello” from me!

All the early mornings, all the miles spent walking up and down streets, all the mistakes in language, are all worth it. I am so grateful to be here. We had church yesterday and it was completely in French. I was able to bear my testimony and I think it went well. The people were smiling. I don't know if they liked what I said or if they were laughing in their minds because I was probably making a bunch of mistakes. Either way it went well.
 
We had some new investigators come to church after just one street contact, which I think is awesome.

The wind is blowing today which I think is cool because it reminds me of when grandpa and I went on our last fishing trip and our hands got numb. The wind is like that but I still like it here. Most of the time the temp is 10 degrees Celsius or 50 degrees Fahrenheit, but it will start to drop soon.

I do read your emails but the only time I can read them is on p-days because we don't have computers anywhere else. We stayed with the Timiskaming Elders last night so we could have an early start.

Please share my love with Megan, Grandpa and Grandma and share this email  

It’s good to know that things are going well with the cars.

One thing I have learned and have been asked about here in the mission field by our church leaders, is that if we want our young men and women to serve in the mission field and stay close to the gospel, “What should they be doing?”  I told them, “They should all do the Missionary Challenge ” like we did in the YSA where they have to follow mission rules. Also coordinate with the missionary’s and have them go on splits with the missionaries. That has really prepared me for a mission and I am so thankful I had the opportunity to do the challenge before I came out here.That really prepared me for a mission. 

How are the Shay Boy’s doing? Have they got baptized yet? Tell Johnathan Levenseller to keep up the good work and give him my email.  I’d love to hear from him. My Email is jperry@myldsmail.net

Super Elder Perry with his Companions on P-Day
in the Meetinghouse Computer Center

One thing that I have learned is that life is about the choices you make! That really decides who you really are. I have learned that things that mattered to me before really don't matter. My goals have changed in life. I am not really sure what I would like to do with my life now. My focus has gone from career goals and living for my cares, to family and how I can become a good husband, father and man. Missions really shape who you are and who you become. I think I am becoming better that I ever would have, if I had not gone on a mission. Encourage the young men, please focus on the church because as we see in the scriptures, those who focus on the world, will eventually find out that true happiness is found in the safety and comfort of Jesus Christ and that the world will not give eternal happiness.

I love you and pray for you every night. Stay strong and in the words of 17 Miracles "It will all be worth it".

I love you and will write next week. 

With Great Love,       
--
Elder Perry

Canada Toronto Mission  

No comments:

Post a Comment