Saturday, September 3, 2016

P-Day #5 Sinus Infection, They call me "Sunshine" and Skype-ing to France


First of all, I am doing good, but I have been sick for the past week with a minor sinus infection. The doc gave me some meds and I’m feeling better, but I still have a cough. It was weird as we walked down to the pharmacy down the street. We actually saw people that didn't have name tags on and we were in the real world. I was just in awe...very wierd!

I received the letters from “dearelder.com". I especially loved the letter from Benson! :) I did receive your box with all the treats and stuff. I haven't eaten them yet because I am trying to eat in moderation and sharing with my district. The problem is that everyone’s parents send food and we are trying to be healthy for the field, so that when we get there, we can eat the food and not feel guilty about gaining weight!  

We are down to the final ten days. The language is coming very well. I am able to teach basic doctrine and I’m able to understand our investigators needs and concerns. I am also able to introduce myself and my companion. I can explain about Joseph Smith and how he was used to help reestablish the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We had Skype TRC, which is where we teach real members from the other side of the world. We taught a lady and her mom in France. We were able to share our testimonies about the scriptures and how they act as guidance for our lives. We have more Skype TRC lessons this week and I’m looking forward to them. I hope the connection is good because it’s hard to hear sometimes. 
A couple of people in our district went into an empty class room, took the paintings, then put them in our classroom. We had to put them back. But for a little while, we had them and our class room looked like we had a spiritual art gallery.

Joseph Smith and Elder Perry

Joseph Smith and Elder Thompson

We found a bust of Joseph Smith and took some pictures with the first prophet.

Most of my time is just studying and practicing my French. I will be sad to leave my district. They will all be in France and the only person that is coming with me is my current companion Elder Thompson. He’s a fantastic companion!  Unfortunately, he will get a new companion after we arrive in Canada. I received my flight plan for going to Toronto. I’m on a one-way flight and will land at 3:18 local time. Elder Thompson and I will be companions until we have transfers after we get to the Mission Home.

We had to help the Sister Missionaries move buildings because they have bats in their building and if you were bitten you would have to get rabies shots and stay for an extra two weeks. They had elevators and a lobby in their building. They looked like they were staying in a hotel. All The Elders scurried to them and carried the luggage up the stairs for the sisters in the new building. When we were carrying the bags for the sisters, there was a lot of eager Elders trying to impress the Sisters with their strength.  

I am comfortable that The Lord will help me in all things. Before I forget, we went to the temple today and as we were in the cafeteria, a man came in with his wife and payed for all the missionaries that were there. He was so nice and I have never had something like that happen to me. He only asked that we pray for his daughter who is at a competition for Volleyball. He was very nice and I didn’t realize fully how much people appreciate missionaries
I feel that I am ready for the field but then I try and teach and realize how hard this is going to be. 

Elder Symes and Elder Perry

We said good bye to the Elder Symes and the rest of the missionaries that were going to Montreal. I woke up at three in the morning and me and another elder decided that we would just do random dancing to break the sadness as they left. We had fun and the missionaries on the bus just smiled and laughed. I’m glad I was able to brighten their day.

We saw the movie Legacy and I thought it was pretty good. It was funny to see one part where two men do a log sawing competition to see who would dance with a girl first.

The Elders in the district wanted to know what the sisters thought about us, so they had them come up with words to describe us. Apparently mine is “Sunshine”!  Like from Remember the Titans and because I am always happy with whatever is going on. It just made me laugh. 

Elder Hennessey (T. Grosnicks' Grandson) and Elder Perry

There is a brotherhood here that can't be found anywhere else. The brotherhood that soldier feels between each other. “Only in this war, we don't fight with rifles but we must take forth or weapons, every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of god” 
-  Jeffery R. Holland

Well, this is my week in a letter. Know I pray for you every day and night. I pray for your safety and know I love You!

Elder Perry
Canada Toronto Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment