Sunday, October 22, 2017

P-Day #63 – District Conference, Getting to Know Nepanee, Ontario and "The Big Woosh"...


This week was a lot of driving for us.

We had District Conference this week and I thought that the talks were great. It’s funny that they started talking about the children in the church and how we are supposed to teach our children the Doctrine of Christ. I was sitting in the congregation and before those talks were given, I knew that the following three talks were going to be given on teaching children and that they would be changed talks from the ones that were already prepared. I also enjoyed our Mission Presidents talk on forgiveness. We had a Seventy come to the District Conference and he gave some training to all the Branch Presidents and I was able to attend the same meeting. I thought it was pretty funny, a lot of the questions that the Branch Presidents were asking could be found in Preach My Gospel. This tells me that a lot of leadership haven't even read it. It really blew me away.

If you really want to find out what we teach and what we are taught to do with Ward Leaders and as a missionary, read chapter 13 of Preach My Gospel. Most people assume that its only for missionaries, but it's really for everyone families included. A lot of answers can be found in reading the lessons in chapter three. 


The area is a lot like Vernonia. We met with the Branch President and he is great! We helped him move the first full day we were here and a couple of days after that. I think we have a really good relationship with him. We talked to the First Counselor in the Branch Presidency and he filled us in on what we typically do in the branch. He gave us a lot of good advice and some things that he would like to see change in the branch. He’s a good guy also! 

We were able to set some goals on what we would like to see happen to our area. We will be traveling to different areas to work and see what the most effective places and area's will be to work in.

We were able to meet with a member this week who was very helpful in helping us understand the area better.  They also gave us some insight on what he would like to see change in the branch. We will be working closely with the Branch President to help implement some of those changes. I think we will do a lot of good in this area and that we will be able to help the area progress.  Almost just like home.


Funny Story…. On P-Day, We had a hard time starting the grill and then, when I put the lit piece of paper near the burners… the thing went in a big fire ball…it was just a big whoosh of flames. Unknown to me, my companion had opened the burners all the way and the gas had built up. This whoosh, scared the crud out of me! We were able to grill the hot dogs and then we went to the church and played basketball and Ping-Pong with some sisters in our district.  Glad I still have my hair and eyebrows. I know the Lord protects his Missionaries. 

I am happy to have the Nissan Rouge back. I fit into the Rogue much better than the Subaru we had. One of these p-days we will be going fishing. We found two fishing rods in our apartment with gear and the salmon are running up river so it should be fun. We also have some and some light houses along the lake shore so that should be cool to see.  We will be doing some more driving tomorrow and we are going to be seeing what is in our area and finding out where the best places to tract and teach are too. Due to District Conference we haven’t really been able to get to know our area much yet, but we’re on it.

Love You and remember, I Pray for You Every Night and Day!

Elder Perry
Napanee Branch
Kingston Ontario District
Canada Toronto Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment